Saturday 25 June 2011

Seven, six, five, four . . .

Yes, the countdown begins. What a week this will be--with all wedding plans sorted (as best as we can), what's left is simply to anticipate the arrival of guests and to be ready for the big day.
 
I must admit I cannot believe how quickly the time has flown--it is six months since Tim proposed, and yet it doesn't feel like it was that long ago. There's been a lot that has happened since, including our 11-day trip to America, and there has been of course the planning for the wedding; perhaps keeping busy has made the months and weeks disappear into what is now just days. My friend Leah just texted me from America with a "T minus" message, which was very sweet and thoughtful of her. What's even sweeter is that she'll be back in time to be here for the wedding, and as one of my closest friends here in London, that is very special to me.
 
There's probably something about it being "third time lucky" for both Tim and me that has made the planning somewhat uncomplicated, at least from my perspective. The wedding was always intended to be a small, less formal affair, with immediate family and good friends in attendance--a brief ceremony at the town hall followed by champagne and canapes, and then an exit into the early evening, just the two of us, to stay at a hotel in London. So, everything is in place . . . I'm frankly just hoping for a good hair day.
 
I realise I haven't blogged much about the wedding, the planning, the stress . . . but there really isn't much to say and it honestly hasn't felt stressful in the least. I'm excited for the music, which will be performed by a string quartet that we heard at Taron and Neil's wedding. Tim and I revisited the town hall on Wednesday so I could consider the possibilities for how to manage the ceremony and reception in the same room without it appearing "auditorium style" in seating . . . I think we have that sorted with the event coordinator, and if not we'll roll up our sleeves and rearrange the room ourselves! There was a bit of a mix up around rooms with the caterer, who made a special trip to the hall to meet with one of the event coordinators only to have left with the wrong information! We were able to sort that one out quickly, and I am looking forward to an elegant array of canapes with our champagne.
 
I did have trouble finding shoes, which I thought would be easy peasy once I had the dress, which by the way I bought in a store on the high street in Cowes. I wanted a pair of shoes I could wear again--c'mon, it's just shoes--and they needed to be navy to match the blue in my dress (which is blue and white). I had hit a total of seven stores (Jones, Clark's, John Lewis, Selfridge's, Zara, Barratt's, and Aldo) before I settled on a pair of blue and white, semi-comfortable, low-heeled shoes from Next. I will say I liked them immediately; the shoe is blue with a white piping around them that ties in a simple bow at the front. They would actually look nice with a pair of blue jeans and a dressy top for an evening out--so I've done well for cheap and cheerful (hey, it really is just shoes), and I think I will actually wear them again.
 
As much as I am not a fan of Oxford Street, in this instance, it worked a treat to hit all of those stores in a short distance, though the Jones was just outside the Chancery Lane tube before getting to Oxford Circus.
 
I've decided to forgo flowers and jewellery, except for the ring. I may wear a string of pearls, but may not. I will wear sheer nude stockings--the white leg look with a white dress is a bit too much, and I'm not a fan of the fake bake. The dress is just below the knee in length, sleeveless, with a frilly bit at the neckline. For you fashionistas out there, it's a Gina Bacconi.
 
I haven't decided about earrings. On a daily basis I wear a pair of simple gold ones with a small light-brown "crystal" (likely made of plastic) that dangles; those will have to come out. Perhaps a visit to Monsoon for cheap and cheerful pearl studs is in my future.
 
Tim and I haven't really argued over any of the arrangements--I had a very brief moment of frustration in trying to focus on music, and in the end we have some wonderful selections prepared for the ceremony and for the reception. I admittedly pestered him to call Majestic to make sure the champagne would be delivered by 4 pm so it would be cold for 5:30, ready to be served after the ceremony. I don't think I've been overbearing, but I know I can be a bit tetchy.
 
We went to pick up our rings at the jewellery store in Cowes on Friday afternoon--simple gold bands--and I sensed a moment in Tim where he was thinking OMG I'm doing this again! LOL. After several years of not wearing a ring on that finger, it's no surprise that it felt funny to him; I remarked that mine fit like a glove. I love its simplicity. 
 
I always felt bothered when men wouldn't wear a wedding ring because it was uncomfortable or interfered somehow with the ability to do something with the left hand; on the other hand, I suppose there are some excuses that are valid (for surgeons, for example). I'm not sure if Tim will always wear his, though I think he will at least make a try at getting used to it. No matter; I know his heart is true.
 
This week the excitement really begins on Thursday evening, when Robyn and Jimmy come to town. As my sole family representative, Robyn also gets to be the witness for the register. She's exempt from having to give a speech (although I did offer her the opportunity). I hope she and I get a chance to play a little bit--we will certainly have dinner together with Jim and Tim on Friday evening, at a local Islington restaurant called Frederick's, and I have the day slated to take off should they decide to want to do something together in the city. Monday, too, as the 4th isn't a holiday in Britain. It's a short stay for them--they head back on the afternoon of the 4th of July, so we will not have much time to spend, but no matter; the fact that she will be here is quite good enough. And to have all of my London friends all together will be a treat. We have a wonderful mix of friends on both sides and I hope everyone enjoys the afternoon.
 
What's left to do then, before the big day? Oddly, absolutely nothing. OK, well, I may visit Boots to find a lipstick in a complimentary shade that doesn't smear when I kiss my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment