Tuesday 25 September 2012

What's The Big Issue?


Believe it or not, it's a rare occurrence to walk the streets of London and hear a quiet, slightly mournful "please" as I pass by someone. The city has its usual collection of street vendors and beggars looking for a handout, but on this particularly chilly late Monday afternoon the voice, a plea, was somehow different to my ear. I was heading home, walking toward Islington as I do at the end of the work day, and for a change on the opposite side of the street; I often follow the bus route, thinking that if I'm ready to hop the 341 I can simply flag it down, but this day I was determined to get a bit of exercise having missed a tennis game and wound up crossing the road.

I did see the vendor, pitching The Big Issue, and I probably even gave him a small smile; it's the gregarious American in me. It was just after I'd passed him that I heard him say "please" in a way that quite simply made me pause; it was a bit tired, a bit sad, slightly pleading. I took three more steps forward and then turned around, and our eyes met. Retracing my steps back toward him I asked how much--I'd never bought The Big Issue, a magazine sold by homeless (or recently homed but still struggling) people to earn income--and when he said £2.50 I realised immediately that I didn't have enough change. (I don't carry a lot of cash because I don't need much during the week and Tim is usually the recipient of my "junk change" that accumulates so I don't put holes in my pockets.) 

I pulled a fistful of coins from my coat pocket, and as I scanned them to quickly add up in my head what was there, it was clearly more copper than silver--it wasn't going to make £2.50. I apologised and started to walk away, but he asked to see how much I had, looked at the array of coins in my outstretched hand, and insisted I take his last copy. I demurred, but again he insisted and stuck out his hand, and so I glumly turned my palm and dumped all of its contents into his cupped hand. As I handed over the change I was at least relieved to see that there was a one pound coin, a 50 pence piece, and two 20 p coins--so I wasn't horribly shortchanging him. I declined the copy of the issue he was handing me, but as I walked away he followed me and insisted I take it--in fact he tucked it under my arm and thanked me for supporting The Big Issue, and then smiled and walked back to his pitch.

For blocks after as I walked toward Angel station I felt a little guilty--I had no idea how much the issue was, and admittedly was a bit surprised that it cost £2.50--I later read that half goes towards the issue, and the other half is kept by the vendor as income. I remembered too that I had a crumpled five-pound note in the other pocket, and could have easily given him that--but too late. I think I had just helped him; or had I? He was happy to have my jumble of coins and a smile; it was me who was feeling a bit shamed.

On my next trip down Grays Inn Road I will seek him out and buy another issue, this time with more than enough change in my pocket. And, having read The Big Issue when I got home, I rather enjoyed it. There was an interview with Tori Amos, one of my favourite musicians, in a previous issue that I saw on the online site, and there were a few articles worth my time in this week's edition. It is the most widely circulated street paper in the world (so says Wikipedia). In fact, I think I'll do my best to buy it more regularly, and possibly from the same vendor. And why not? Don't we all like the familiarity of a smiling face that greets us when we shop? I suspect I'm guaranteed a generous smile for my £2.50.

And that, my dear friends, is the big issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment